Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How did it all started

Was it the pictures from Bicycling Magazine?  I didn't quite remember why I wanted a bicycle with a gear-hub, (other than those magazine photos or being able to change gear during a stop), but I've always wanted one ever since three years ago in 2007, which is when the Shimano Alfine gruppo is first release in the United States.  Sometime in 2008, while I was coming back from work, I drove by Cyclepath in Hayward and happened to see the 2009 Swobo Dixon with an SRAM i-Motion 9 in the storefront.  Being a bike enthusiast, I couldn't help but beg the owner for a test ride.  Long story short, love everything except the disc brakes (Avid BB5 front and BB7 rear), which didn't quite appear have the stopping power of v-brakes.  The gear range for the Dixon's configuration is more than adequate for me.   It's also a very light bike compared to other similar ones.  Trust me, I tried lifting a ~2007/2008 Novara Transfer (REI), Novara Fusion (REI), Bianchi Milano (Palo Alto Bicycles), Jamis Commuter 3.0 (Sports Basement in Crissy Field), and Specialized Globe Centrum (Mike's Bikes); from what I remembered, they were not as light as the Swobo Dixon.   I also talked about my initial impression about the Swobo Dixon here in bike forums, which later found out it takes time for new disc brakes to break-in in order for them to work as they should.  At that time I really wanted the Swobo Dixon, but I was able to stop myself from thinking about it and see what my other options are.

No comments:

Post a Comment