Monday, October 20, 2014

Silca Super Pista Repair




I've been using my reliable Silca Super Pista for more than 8 years, and everything seems to be fine until recently.  For some reason, the floor-pump just won't inflate the tire.   Then, I found out that the pump only works on schrader valves.  There seems to be some kind of leak when I inflate tires with presta valve adapter, so there must be something wrong with the adapter itself.  At first, I wanted to either buy another pump, look for another Silca presta valve adapter, or find other alternatives such as buying a generic schrader to presta adapter for around $1.00 shipped on Ebay.

I realized since the adapter is already messed up,  why don't I open the adapter and try to find where the problem is.  At first I thought, it might require some googling and spending some time to learn about how a pump works, but taking the adapter apart is actually not hard at all.  All it required is 30 seconds of your time to unscrew the head and take the washer out.  As you can see in the photo, it turns out that the washer has been damaged, and I need to find a replacement for it.

I did some googling and found out there are more than one version of the washers out there:

1) Silca Leather Plunger Washer: Pista, Super $7.19 shipped
2) Silca Large Rubber Washer for Presta Head $8.98 shipped
3) Silca Rubber Washer, Fits Reversible Head $19.95 shipped

I decided to trust the picture on the page and went with the second one, (Silca Large Rubber Washer for Presta Head).  The rubber washer doesn't look exactly like the one on Amazon, but I did get the right part, no more leaks, and let's start riding.










No comments:

Post a Comment