Friday, February 11, 2011

Rear Wheel and Alfine's Small Parts

I bought the Handspun Pavement Series 2, which is a hand-built rear wheel that consist of black Velocity Dyad rim, black spokes, and the Shimano Alfine 8 (SG-S501) IGH.  Just a reminder, I got this rear wheel from AEBike.com, and the price was $240.99.  Before you can integrate the wheel to the bike, you are required to buy both the Shimano SG-S501 Alfine/Nexus small parts kit and a cog (18t/20t), which cost another $17.00 and $8.00-$10.00, respectively.  You don't really have to small parts kit as a package; you can actually purchase each part individually, but they will end up costing more than the kit itself (at least where I am from).  

Putting the small parts on the has been pretty straight forward, except for the c-ring.  Unless you are an experienced mechanic, if you think you put the c-ring in the right location the first time, you are not placing it in the right spot.  I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out if I was doing it correctly and forcing that mofo to go in.  Well, I found this video very helpful, and hope you'll find it helpful too:


Last but not least, let me give you the link of the instruction manual for the Alfine-8 hub/small parts/cogs, so you don't have to google for it:


1. Small parts installation instructions
2. Alfine gruppo in general

No comments:

Post a Comment