Monday, October 15, 2012

FSA Metropolis on Marin Muirwoods 2010

I have a FSA Metropolis Handlebar lying around for some time, and I decided to replace the original handlebar with it on my Marin Muirwood 29er mainly because I always want to get rid of the stock handlebar.  The original handlebar is a ~68cm wide flat mtb bar with 25.4mm rise.  To me, the advantage is steering is more precise, but I am used to bicycling with a 42cm drop-bar.   If the handlebar too wide, it becomes a challenge when I am biking in narrow paths such as a pedestrian sidewalk in a tunnel; I am going to hit the wall and the handrail back and forward like a metronome.  Maybe it will work for some people, but the stock bar just doesn't fit my style of riding. 

Well, the FSA is narrower but not by much; it measures 620mm wide with a +/-45mm rise/drop and a 45 degree back sweep.  I went with the -45mm drop because it makes my commuter feels more like a road bike.  On the other hand, flipping the bar over (+45mm rise) seems a bit awkward to me.  Although it give you a more upright position, but I have to force raising my elbows to higher positions than I normally would if I do the rise, and it gets uncomfortable very quickly.   I took my Muirwood 29er out for a spin once, and first impression... certainly better than the original, but the 45 degree back sweep might be a little too much.  It might just take some time to get used to.





No comments:

Post a Comment